Alaska Star logo
Alaska Job Net
share on facebook
Alaska Star on Facebook





Header
Story Last modified at 12:52 p.m. on Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Family escapes Chugiak house fire

photo:News

This house on Darby Road in Chugiak suffered extensive fire damage.
STAR PHOTO by matt tunseth

The Chugiak Volunteer Fire Department doused a structure fire Saturday night that damanged much of the second floor of a house on Darby Road in Chugiak.

CVFD spokesman Jeff Hartley said a call came in at about 7 p.m. on July 30 that a two-story house at 19133 Darby was on fire. When firefighters arrived four minutes later, Hartley said they found the second story of the home "about 75 percent involved."

Hartley said the cause of the blaze was a grease fire that started in the kitchen and quickly got out of control. The family living in the home – a mother, father and their three children – were able to exit the structure without incident.

On Monday, an employee of a home restoration company was the only person at the residence, which showed extensive smoke and fire damage on the second floor.

"Basically the second floor is gutted," Hartley said.

Hartley said the fire provides a good opportunity to remind people how important it is to make sure and stay vigilant while cooking – especially with hot grease.

"It can take off on you pretty quick," he said.



This article published in The Alaska Star on Wednesday, August 3, 2011.