Alaska Star logo
Alaska Job Net
share on facebook
Alaska Star on Facebook

Story Last modified at 10:40 a.m. on Thursday, December 2, 2010

Irvin Edward Griffith, Jr.


Irvin Edward Griffith, Jr.

March 12, 1927-Nov. 9, 2010

Irvin E. Griffith, Jr., 83, died Nov. 9, 2010, surrounded by his family.

Irvin, better known as Griff, was born March 12, 1927, in Virginia to Irvin Sr. and Rebecca Griffith and was raised in Kentucky. When he was a teen, the family moved to Lexington Park, Md.

He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII, and his name is included in the WWII Memorial in Washington, D.C. He and his wife, Marian, celebrated 50 years of marriage on Dec. 16, 2009.

Irvin fulfilled a lifelong dream of living in Alaska, moving his family in 1969 to Anchorage and then in 1976 to Eagle River, where they lived for over 20 years. Irvin was a piano tuner-technician from 1960 to 2007, and through his piano "hospital" he rebuilt many player pianos over the years.

Woodworking, especially 3-D wooden puzzles, was his favorite hobby. He also enjoyed playing his mandolin and musical saw. Irvin was a member of the Anchorage Baptist Temple and from 1972 drove a church Sunday-school bus to bring boys, girls, and adults to church. His family wrote, "He went home to be with his Savior."

Irvin is preceded in death by his father, Irvin Edward Griffith Sr.; and his mother, Rebecca Ann Morefield Griffith.

Irvin is survived by his wife, Marian; his daughters Leila, Wales, United Kingdom, Leilani, Wasilla, Becki, Florida; his son, Garth, of Eagle River; grandchildren, Krystina and Jessica of Anchorage, and Tahnee, Lexi, Anja and Anthony of Florida. He is also survived by his three sisters, two brothers, numerous nieces and nephews in the lower 48 states.

A celebration of his life was held on Nov. 13 at the Anchorage Baptist Temple.

In lieu of flowers, the family wishes that memorial contributions be given to the Anchorage Baptist Temple Bus Ministry, 333-6535 or Providence Hospice, 770-7078.

All arrangements were under the direction of the Anchorage Funeral Home.

This article published in The Alaska Star on Thursday, December 2, 2010.