Alaska Star logo
Alaska Job Net
share on facebook
Alaska Star on Facebook

Story Last modified at 8:52 p.m. on Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Frances Jean Todd

June 27, 1924- Nov. 16, 2010


Frances Jean Todd

Former Eagle River resident Frances Jean Todd, 86, died on Nov. 16, 2010, after suffering a fall.

Frances was born on a homestead and farm near Selden, Kan., on June 27, 1924, of pioneer families Everett C. Motz and Grace D. Huffman Motz. Her education started in a one-room schoolhouse called Champion Hill and remained so until the seventh grade. In the 1930's, her dad went to work with the Bureau of Reclamation giving Frances the opportunity to travel and expand her education across the country, graduating from Logan High School in Logan, Kan. Frances met her loving husband, Leslie W. Todd, in Nederland, Colo., and in 1952 they packed up their sons Larry D. and Loren "Bob" Todd and moved to the territory of Alaska. The family lived at the Eklutna Power Project and Eagle River.

Frances enjoyed fishing and hunting, rock hunting, genealogy and was an avid reader. The Todds retired in 1976 and left Alaska, returning to Selden. In 1982 they moved to Tucson and then Cottonwood, Ariz., in 1990. She was a member of NAFR, Daughters of the American Revolution, Decedents of Washington's Army at Valley Forge, and the Gem and Mineral Club. She was a former U.S. Postal Service employee and school secretary at Chugiak Elementary School.

Frances was preceded in death by her husband, Les, and her brother Everett "Pete" Motz. She is survived by her sons Larry and Bob; her daughters-in-law Elizabeth and Deborah of Wasilla; four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren; and sisters Peggy Dyson Malson and Berniece "Bunny" Motz Palmer. By Frances' request, her remains will be cremated and her ashes will be joined with her late husband's and they will be returned to Alaska.

Her siblings always lovingly referred to Frances as the Boss or the Philadelphia Lawyer. Her children knew she was the family matriarch. "With kindness and love she was always willing to lend a gentle hand to guide us."

A private service has been held.

This article published in The Alaska Star on Wednesday, December 22, 2010.